Buildings named for Olmste(a)ds

In development — this will be a listing of schools and other buildings name for family members

Kentucky
Olmstead

Olmstead Elementary and Middle School

 

Indiana
Evansville

The old Olmstead school was on Olmstead Ave near Stringtown Rd and Pigeon Creek. The old township school served the area north of Evansville near the old Negley Mill. It was later replaced by the larger Henry Reis School as the growing city expanded north. The building was demolished in 1962.

Olmsted Administration Hall, University of Evansville was named in honor of Ralph Olmsted (1899-1983), a graduate and for many years the assistant to the President, business manager, journalism instructor, and archivist of the University, retiring in 1980 after more than fifty years serving the University. An Olmsted Maple tree was planted in front of the building in 19..

The Gothic-style building was completed on June 12, 1922. It is constructed of Indiana limestone. Known as Administration Hall until 1981, it was the only building on the school’s campus until 1947 when Igleheart was built. It was refurbished in 1986. Currently, in addition to offices it houses WUEV 91.5 FM and the Internet Applications Laboratory (IALab).

 

Iowa
Urbandale

Olmsted Elementary School

 

NEW YORK
Buffalo

Olmsted Elementary School — PS 64

Olmsted High School at Kensington — PS 156

Richardson-Olmsted Hotel

 

Harpersville

W. A. Olmsted Elementary School was named in honor of Winthrop Aaron “W.A.” Olmsted (1898-1990) who moved his young family from the mid-west to take over his father’s farm. In the early 1930s the movement to create centralized schools from the one-room schools that ha been established in earlier times was being considered in the Town of Colesville in eastern Broome County. W.A. worked with other community leaders to replace the 19 schools that students walked to with one in Harpursville that would have school bus service for the rural areas. W.A. was selected as the first principal, and as the school grew as he became the supervising principal, serving in that position for over 30 years. At the same time continued his 150 acre farm with dairy, livestock, and field crops. After his retirement, the original building that had served K-12 was transitioned to the high school and a new elementary building was built and named in his honor.

 

Place by the Elms © Walt Steesy, 2007-2017
and Olmste(a)d Family Association, 2017-2026
Last Updated August 21, 2026
Return to Contents or Named Olmste(a)d

For corrections or additions please email us

Loading